Yes. Having a fatty liver puts you at great risk for having heart disease, Diabetes, High blood pressure, High cholesterol and Liver cancer.
What is fatty liver?
Some fat in your liver is normal. But if it is more than 5 – 10% of the weight of your liver, you may have a fatty liver.
What causes fatty liver?
- The first common cause is alcohol – Alcoholic fatty liver
- The second common is poor lifestyle factors – Non alcoholic fatty liver disease(NAFLD)
- Other causes – Medications
- Chronic diseases
- Extreme weight changes
What are the risk factors ?
- Type 2 Diabetes
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
How is it diagnosed?
- Medical history & clinical examination
- Blood tests
- Imaging studies like Ultrasound
How can I prevent Fatty liver?
- Magic pill – Weight reduction through healthy diet and exercise.
10% reduction of total weight helps a lot.
Recommended diet – Nuts, fruits, vegetables,beans
Whole grain carbohydrates
Avoid saturated and trans fats
Reduces liver fat
Recommended – 30 minutes per day
Aerobic & Resistance exercise
- Avoid alcohol
- Don’t smoke
- Get enough sleep
- Control – Diabetes,High cholesterol and High blood pressure
- Dietary supplements – Vitamin E, omega 3 fatty acids
Consult your Doctor before taking supplements.